Unfortunately, it is the time of year when the Montana Department of Labor starts to get a flood of complaints from consumers about unsavory contractors.
Yesterday, the D.O.L released this announcement
They are advising Montanans to do the following:
• Verify the contractor is registered with the State of Montana
• Check with the State Construction Contractor Registration Unit to be sure that the contractor is in compliance
• Find out if the contractor belongs to an industry association
• Check for proper insurance (Liability, Workers’ Compensation)
• Call references; look at past projects
• Have a contract detailing every aspect of the project including how and when paid
• Communicate. Assure each of you have a complete understanding of expectations
• Visually inspect each part of the project
We agree that choosing the right contractor can make all the difference. We also know that communication is the key to a successful remodel or new construction project. Ask your contractor lots of questions and make sure you communicate with them on a very regular basis.